Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
For the last 30 years, Clayton State University has made an effort to make tax season a less stressful process for tax filers seeking to fill out their returns.
The College of Business has partnered with the United Way Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which offers free tax preparation assistance to eligible taxpayers using forms 1040EZ, 1040A and simple 1040s.
COVID-19 Policies and Procedures for VITA visitors:
- Please observe physical distancing in the building; we have limited available seating for waiting.
- All faculty, staff, students, and visitors must wear an appropriate face covering while inside campus facilities.
- Walk ins are welcome. There will be a limited first come, first-served in-person based on the sign-in sheet register. We will make every effort to have a sign-in sheet in place no later than 9:00 a.m. on Saturday mornings. Taxpayers are encouraged to come early to sign in for an available time slot. Again, limited appointments are not available.
- Each visitor will be given an estimated timeslot at the registration table based upon the maximum number of returns (approximately 50) which can be processed between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- All VITA visitors should then remain in their vehicles or return at the designated time for their return to be prepared.
- We must comply with Clayton State University and CDC guidelines regarding social distancing, classroom capacities and rotation, lobby and reception seating, and face coverings. We appreciate your patience and compliance.
Taxpayers must be in one of three eligible groups to participate in the program: people who generally have an income of $65,000 or less; persons with disabilities; or limited English-speaking taxpayers.
Those interested in receiving this assistance must bring the following items:
- Photo identification
- Social security cards for themselves, their spouse, and dependents
- Birthdates for primary, secondary, and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1009-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from bank(s), Form 1099
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Day care provider identifying number
- Total amount paid for day care
- A copy of last year’s federal and state income tax returns if possible,
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit
Both spouses will need to be present to file electronically.
*Returns will be e-filed approximately 10 days after preparation. Please allow 20 business days before inquiring about the status of your return.