Skip to Content Skip to Footer

International Student Visas




Contact OIP

Clayton State University Office of International Programs (OIP)

Call or email for advising appointment

University Center 210 2000 Clayton State Blvd.  Morrow, GA 30260-0285

Tel: (678) 466-5499 Fax: (678) 466-5469

Follow Us!

ISS invites all to follow our international journey through Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. If you would like us to post something, feel free to let us know!

     facebook   twitter-icon-circle-logo


PLEASE NOTE: ISS is not involved in the admissions process. AFTER acceptance, ISS will issue immigration documents required for a new visa, SEVIS transfer, change of status, or reinstatement.

For Undergraduate International Admissions questions, please contact Ms. Christina Hung at:

For Graduate International Admissions questions contact the Office of Graduate Studies at:

There are 2 types of U.S student visas: 

  • F-1: students admitted to a program of study. F1 students are the most common type of international student in the U.S. ISS is your primary contact on campus. Please see below.
  • J-1: exchange visitors participating in the U.S. Department of State’s Exchange Visitor Program. The OIP (Office of International Programs) is your primary contact on campus.

F1 Visa Process


The steps below will assist you in the process of applying for an F1 Visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your home country. The F1 Visa and related documents allow you to travel to and enter the U.S. 

STEP 1. Apply for Admission to the University What Category of Applicant Are You? 

STEP 2. Financial Verification

Regulations require international applicants to document their ability to fully pay for their first year of study. You must show adequate funding to cover not only tuition, but also meals, housing, books and insurance. The Financial Verification Form is used to complete this step.

Note: Please read the form carefully and submit all necessary documentation.

STEP 3. Issuance of an Initial I-20 Once Steps 1 and 2 are complete, ISS will use information you provided to issue an "initial" form I-20. This document will be mailed to you or someone you designate. It can also be picked-up on campus by someone you designate.

STEP 4. Application for the F-1 Visa Once you receive the "initial" I-20, you are eligible to apply for the F-1 Student Visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your home country. The F-1 application process requires additional steps. Please see "What's Next" under Pre-Arrival Information.

Note 1: Transfer Students: If you are transferring from another U.S. college or university, your SEVIS record must be transferred to Clayton State before ISS can issue a Clayton State form I-20. Please complete the Transfer In-Request Form.

Note 2: Next Degree Level Students: If you are a current Clayton State student who will begin a higher degree level program at Clayton State (ex: BA to MBA) you will need to provide new/updated financial certification and verification documents before a new I-20 for your new degree can be issued.