Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Visas & Passports for International Students banner image

Visas & Passports for International Students

Visa & Passport Information for International Students

  • Visas can only be "extended" or "renewed" outside of the United States
  • Visas are only used as a pass that allows you to come to the border of the U.S.
  • Your I-20, or DS-2019, is what allows you to actually enter and remain here legally, a valid visa is not needed to maintain your status once you are in the US
  • Visa renewal, when needed, is best done at the U.S. Embassy in your home country
  • Procedures and requirements for visas can vary slightly between countries and are often subject to change - please view your countries US Consulate or embassy web site for specific requirements
  • Visit the Web site to determine the procedures for applying for a visa at the U.S. Embassy or consulate in the country where you wish to renew.
  • If you are traveling to another country from the United States you must check with a Visa company or that countries consulate or embassy to see what you need to enter
  • Passports can be renewed at your government's embassy in the United States or in your home country. You will need to search for the embassy that is closest to Clayton State University but most countries have an embassy in Atlanta.