Dental Hygiene Admissions
The Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene (BSDH) has a limited enrollment based on space available in clinical facilities.
Transfer students are ineligible for program application unless they receive University acceptance as "transfer" student for Spring 2024 and attend Clayton State University's mandatory orientation prior to or during the first week of January 2024 and will complete HSCI2111-Introduction to Health Care Environment prior to or during Summer 2024.
The admission process is competitive, and students will be selected on the basis of academic qualifications. The curriculum consists of eight semesters of full-time study. Two years of study in general education and health sciences precedes admission to upper division dental hygiene coursework. Acceptance to the University does not imply acceptance into the dental hygiene program. The latter requires a separate application process. The BSDH program application is in addition to application for admission to Clayton State University. The competitive admission process includes the following:
- Apply to Clayton State University for undergraduate admission as a transfer student and declare a Health Sciences major; cumulative GPA of 2.80 or above determines eligibility for pre-dental hygiene. Note that transient and post-baccalaureate non-degree seeking University applicants are not eligible for separate dental hygiene application.
- Completion of the separate application to the BSDH program.
- Completion of general education courses, as follows:
- Application. Application may be submitted any time after the student has completed 30 hours of core curriculum (Areas A-E) with a GPA of at least 2.80 (Clayton State University and transfer courses included).
- Acceptance. Admission decisions will be made after the applicant has completed at least 45 hours of core curriculum (Areas A-E) and lower division health sciences coursework and has continued to maintain a GPA of at least 2.80. Meeting the minimum GPA does not assure acceptance. The program's Admission Committee will select the most qualified applicants for the available space. Acceptance will be contingent on maintaining the standards indicated in item iii. (A waiting list may be maintained for the coming class. Students not admitted by August must reapply if they wish to be considered for a future year.)
- Maintenance of Accepted Status. To maintain accepted status and be eligible to start
upper division dental hygiene courses, the student must meet the following standards:
- maintain a GPA of at least 2.80
- complete the Area D lab science sequence with all grades of C or higher (or K)
- complete MATH 1101 or higher with a grade of C or higher (or K)
- any student who fails to maintain these standards will have his or her acceptance for the coming class revoked and a student whose admission is revoked must reapply if he or she wishes to be considered for a future year.
- If the student has completed any coursework at a college or university other than Clayton State University, official transcripts must be sent to the Registrar.
- Successful completion of legislative requirements.
- Submission of a letter from dental office as verification of observation as per guidelines in the application packet. The observation letter must be on official stationary from the dental office and verify at least eight (8) hours were completed observing a practicing Registered Dental Hygienist.
- Attendance at a mandatory program information session.
- Satisfactory evidence of overall health status consistent with the performance standards of dental hygiene as verified by a licensed health professional.
- Applicants will be rated on overall academic performance and specific performance in natural sciences and mathematics.
- Applicants participating in Clayton State University’s Honors Program are given priority if they meet all program admission standards.