VA Tutorial Assistance
Tutorial Assistance helps students pay for necessary tutoring and is a supplement to the student’s regular education benefit.
REQUIREMENTS for Tutorial Assistance
- Students must be eligible for the following benefit types:
- Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill®
- Chapter 32: VEAP
- Chapter 33: Post 911 GI Bill®
- Chapter 35: Spouse/Dependents Education Assistance Program
- Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill®-Reserves
- And Students must be enrolled at least ½-time in required courses
- And Students must request advance pay at least 45 days, so that VA can receive the request at least 30 days but not more than 120 days before the enrollment period begins
- And Students must be able to show documentation/proof that he/she has a deficiency in a course that is part of his/her approved program and a letter from the course instructor stating that the student is deficient in the course and individual tutoring is required to correct the deficiency.
- And Students must be enrolled in deficient course during the term/semester in which the tutoring is received for the course.
- And the Tutor must meet the college’s qualifications and cannot be a close relative to the student.
Unfortunately, Tutoring cannot occur between semesters.
The monthly rate for Tutorial Assistance cannot exceed the usual charges for tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable to eligible persons is $1200. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bills®. There is no entitlement charge under Chapter 33: Post 911 GI Bill® nor Chapter 35: Spouse/Dependents Education Assistance Program.
To receive Tutorial Assistance, the student, tutor and Certifying Official (VA Coordinator of Clayton State University) must complete a VA Form 22-1990t. The application must be submitted at the end of each month or combination of months. The application must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last tutoring session certified. VA can pay for tutorial assistance during the one-year period before the date VA receives the application.