Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill®-Reserves

Brief Description

  • Active Reservists with 6 year obligation; completed EIT
  • Entitlement is generally 36 months of full-time benefit payments
  • Student is eligible until either exhausting entitlement or DoD reports that he/she is no longer eligible

In order to calculate your benefits, please feel free to use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool.

Benefits Include

This benefit does not pay for tuition and fee charges. Payment for tuition and fees are expected by the payment deadline. 

**Tuition Assistance (TA) through GoArmyEd is determined by the Education Liaison Representative for your unit and the approval documentation is submitted to the Bursar's Office at Clayton State University. The Veterans Affairs Coordinator does not process the Tuition Assistance program through GoArmyEd.  New Regulation Effective May 4, 2021: For students enrolled in half-time or more, they may now receive TA and Chapter 1606 benefits simultaneously for the same course.  

This benefits includes a monthly stipend based on the number of credit hours certified per term.

Rates are subject to change annually. The rate change is usually effective October 1st of each year.

CHAPTER 1606: MONTGOMERY GI BILL®-RESERVES (MGIB-SR): Rates effective October 1, 2022.

Time Amount
Full Time $439/month
¾ Time $329/month
½ Time $219/month
Less than ½ Time, but more than ¼ Time One-time amount during the term for $109.75 for tuition and fees (whichever is less)

If you have an education kicker contract, please submit a copy so that your monthly rate is calculated appropriately. 

Payments are based on the previous month’s enrollment. Since the Department of Veterans Affairs no longer pays for break pay, benefits for courses out applies when courses are in session.  Consider this when taking courses with different beginning and ending dates.

Changes to eligibility, enrollment, schedule, attendance, programs of study and such like can affect your VA Educational Benefits.

Changes to Degree program:

  • After the change in degree program is approved by the Department, please submit a VA Form 22-1995
  • If the change in the degree program is effective during the current term, please be sure that your current courses are required for the new degree program.  If not, your enrollment certification has to be adjusted. 
  • If the change in degree program is effective the next term, please be sure to register for classes that pertain to the new degree program. 
  • Consider the remaining eligibility time and determine if you will be able to complete the program in the remaining time. 

If you have any further questions or concerns about eligibility or payments, please feel free to contact the Veterans Affairs Processing Center at 1-888-442-4551

View instructions on How to Receive VA Education Benefits at Clayton State University