Verification of Lawful Presence
Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia requires all students admitted or readmitted for fall semester 2011 and subsequent semesters to provide verification of lawful presence (VOLP) in the United States**. The following documents may be used to satisfy this requirement:
- An approved, completed FAFSA for the current financial aid year. The Clayton State University school code for the FAFSA is 008976.
- A current driver's license issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.* A limited term driver's license cannot be used to verify lawful presence.
- A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.*
- A certified U.S. birth certificate showing the prospective student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. Only a notarized copy or a copy made by Clayton State staff is acceptable.
- A current, valid permanent resident card (USCIS form 1-151 or 1-551).
- A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
- A current U.S. passport.
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
- A current military ID. You must present your ID in person in the Registrar’s Office. Dependents of a military member will not be able to verify lawful presence using this method. This method is only available to the military member.
PLEASE NOTE: Positive verification of lawful presence does not necessarily warrant an in-state classification. To be classified as in-state for tuition purposes, students must verify lawful presence and show that they meet the in-state tuition requirements as outlined in BOR Policy 4.3.2. Additional documentation may be required to prove in-state residency status.
*A current Georgia driver’s license or a current ID issued by the State of Georgia also may be used to qualify for in-state tuition if the license/ID was issued a minimum of 12 months prior to the first day of classes. ** In accordance with Board of Regents Policy 4.3.4, all applicants who are accepted for admission or readmission to Clayton State University for Fall 2011 or any academic semester thereafter, and who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes, will be required to provide validation of residency and lawful presence in both the State of Georgia and the United States. Acceptance to Clayton State University is conditional until lawful presence is verified.