Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Online Frequently Asked Questions

How do Clayton State Online degree programs work?

Our online programs have been designed for students that have a busy life. The majority of our online students are non-traditional students that have been out of high school for some time and have work/life commitments. Online learning allows students with busy lives to fit their education into times that work best for them. Our fully online programs can be completed entirely online without any required campus visits. Take a look at our program offerings and please contact us with any questions.

How do I know if I am ready to learn online?

Learning online requires a significant time investment as a student. Since you’re not required to meet on campus in a traditional classroom setting, it is up to you to maintain communication with your professor and to keep up with assignments. 

How do I interact with my classmates and instructor?

You’ll interact with your classmates and instructor through our Learning Management System, BrightSpace. BrightSpace is the system you’ll use to view your class content, submit assignments and communicate with others in your course. Additionally, your instructor will also be available via other methods of communication. Please refer to the course syllabus for additional information.

How flexible is the course schedule? What is the time commitment?

The majority of our courses are traditional semester length, 16 weeks. However, some courses follow an 8-week schedule, which requires a greater time commitment since they are condensed into a shorter schedule. There also may be scheduled online meetings that you’re required to attend. Depending on the course, online offers more flexibility for accessing instruction and completing assignments.

How long will it take me to finish my program?

Depending on a number of factors, including transfer credit and the number of credit hours taken per term, the time to finish the program will vary. The minimum number of credit hours for a baccalaureate degree is 120, however some programs may require more.

How do I submit course work and take exams?

You’ll use our Learning Management System, BrightSpace to submit coursework and take exams. Depending on the course, you may be required to complete proctored examinations at a mandatory physical location. Classes with proctored examinations will include notes in the class schedule so you’re aware of this requirement prior to registration.

What kind of computer/Internet access do I need?

Clayton State has set forth minimum computer requirements for students across all majors. The entry level requirements cover majors in the College of Arts & Sciences, College of Business and College of Health. For majors in the College of Information and Mathematical Sciences, the listed enhanced or advanced level components would be more appropriate.

How do transfer students apply for an online degree program?

You can apply as a transfer student if you have graduated high school and completed at least 30 transferable credits from an accredited college or university. A minimum 2.0 GPA is required and applicants must be in good academic and conduct standing at the last institution from which credit was earned. More information can be found on the admissions page.

What if I’m a veteran?

The University’s Veteran Resource Center offers information and resources to help former service members transition into college. Find out about GI Bill requirements, tuition waivers, military transcripts and support groups on campus here.

Veterans also may be eligible for the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if they cannot receive a Pell Grant. Visit the Financial Aid website for more details.

Does Clayton State University offer financial aid options for online education?

Students enrolled may be eligible for state and federal funding. The Zell Miller Scholarship, HOPE Scholarship, HOPE Grant are available for in-state students. All students who fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be evaluated for the federal Pell Grant administered by the U.S. Department of Education. Students also may be eligible to borrow money through federal and private student loans. Visit the Financial Aid website for more details.

Don't see your question? Email us directly at