Skip to Content Skip to Footer

P-card FAQ

P-Card Issuance/Responsibility

  1. How would having a Purchasing Card benefit our department? The State of Georgia Purchasing Card (P-card) is a charge card designed to enable authorized full-time State of Georgia employees to make small value purchases of supplies, materials, equipment, and services for State business use. The program streamlines payments by eliminating the administrative burdens and costs associated with traditional methods of payment.
  2. Can multiple cards be issued in the same individual’s name? No. Only one card may be issued for an employee. Also you cannot have one issued in the Department Name.
  3. What does the mandated training session offer? The training session will provide you with the information you need to use the card correctly. It outlines the purchasing guidelines, what are allowable and non allowable expenses on the P-Card and P-card usage. The training session also covers the reconciliation process in the Works Application. Other topics include; sales tax issues, transaction reconciling procedures, forms used, dates, deadlines, and contacts.
  4. Must I undergo a criminal and credit check? Clayton State University is required to complete criminal background and credit checks on all State employees prior to issuance of a Purchasing Card (P-card). Clayton State University is required to complete criminal background and credit checks on all existing P-card cardholders prior to next renewal date which is every two years.
  5. Am I personally held responsible for the use or potential misuse of the Purchasing Card if I am the cardholder? Yes, as the cardholder you are personally responsible for your P-card and the usage of the card. Cardholders or supervisors/approving officials who knowingly, or through willful neglect, fail to comply with the Policy and Procedures outline in the laws of Georgia related to governmental purchasing, GA Procurement Manual, State Purchasing Card Policy, BOR policy and our internal policies and procedures may be subject to suspension or termination of employment and criminal prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
  6. What are the card cancellation procedures? If a card is lost or stolen, it is the responsibility of the cardholder to immediately notify Bank of America within 24 hours by calling 1-888-449-2273. They must also notify supervisor and P-card Administrator. If a cardholder leaves the University, transfers to another department, or takes a leave of absence longer than 1 month, then the cardholder is responsible for contacting Procurement Services to fill out a Transfer Form/Cancellation Letter.
  7. Where should I store the card for safekeeping? It is the responsibility of the cardholder to be sure that both the card plate itself and exposure to the card number are in a safe place. It is recommended that the card be stored on campus either in a locked drawer, or a safe. Please do not carry the card in your billfold or purse permanently. Avoiding this will decrease the possibility of the card being lost or used inappropriately. (*Note: It is understood the card may be in the cardholder's possession while in travel status if the card is being used to pay for their travel related expenses.)
  8. Can I use the same Purchasing Card for several Departmental funds? Yes. When reconciling in WORKS, each transaction can be charged to a separate departmental fund. Indicate on the paper copy submitted to Procurement Services that there were several different departmental funds used.

P-Card Purchasing Guidelines

  1. Are there preset single and monthly transaction limits on the card? VISA monthly credit limits are initially set at $10,000. Requests for higher spending limits need to be made in writing and approved by the card holder's department administrator and then they will be submitted to the P-card Administrator for review. Single Transaction is defined as one or more items purchased at the same time from the same vendor on the same day. Orders intentionally split to circumvent the $5,000 transaction limit, violate University Policy.
  2. What do I do if a transaction is declined? Contact Bank of America at 1-888-449-2273. Keep in mind the preset single, monthly and merchant restrictions may cause the declined authorization. You may also need to discuss an increase in your limit with your supervisor/department head.
  3. How do I go about requesting that my monthly limit be raised? Have your manager contact Procurement Services
  4. Can the Purchasing Card be used to purchase food or meals? The P-card cannot be used for purchasing food or meals. However, there are a few exceptions with student member clubs and/or athletic events. The general rule is food may be purchased ONLY IF the primary purpose of the event is for the benefit of the student club or athletes. A list of participants showing student name and signature, itemized receipt, and a copy of the team schedule or other documentation showing that the meal was an authorized student activity.
  5. What are the guidelines for Air Travel?                                                                                                                                                            Air travel is allowed for Clayton State employees and students on University business. Reservations for air travel can not be outside 30 days of the travel date and you must travel in the same fiscal year that the ticket was purchased. You can use Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, or Expedia for flight reservations. You must include the pre-approved Travel Authorization Form in your P-Card VISA Packet.of students or student athletes must be provided along with a business purpose stated on the invoice or receipt.

Required Purchase Documentation for the P-Card Packet

  1. Do I need to have a receipt or an invoice to document all purchases that I make? All purchases made on the Purchasing Card, as well as all other purchasing tools used at the University, require documentation identifying the purchase. Acceptable documentation can be in the form of an invoice, receipt or order form. The documentation must identify the vendor, dollar amount, description of purchase, and the date of the purchase.
  2. What do I do if I have lost my original receipt? All attempts should be taken to contact the vendor to request a duplicate. When submitting the documentation, please note that the original was lost, thus a copy has been provided. If no copy is available or the vendor cannot provide a copy, please complete a Missing Receipt Form. Please be advised the form is only for purchases less than $100.
  3. What do I do if I did not receive any documentation for my purchase? All attempts should be taken to contact the vendor to request acceptable documentation. The vendor should either be able to provide an invoice, packing slip, or a written description of what merchandise was purchased as well as the dollar amount of the purchase.
  4. Should I be assessed sales tax on Purchasing Card Purchases? No, the University is a tax-exempt institution. See our online Tax Exemption Certificate here. If you are inadvertently charged tax, the cardholder should contact the vendor for a tax credit.
  5. What do I do if a transaction appears on my statement that I do not believe is mine? If you believe the transaction is an error, contact the vendor to credit the transaction or the amount. However, if this is a fraud issue, then you must contact Bank of America and begin a fraud claim. Also, contact the P-card Administrator.
  6. Can the original documentation be maintained within the department for either return or rebate possibilities? No. All original documentation must be provided to the Procurement/Accounts Payable department for audit purposes. Copies made for the department prior to submission or can be obtained from Procurement upon request.
  7. What information do I need to provide for conference registration fees processed on the Purchasing Card? Cardholders should provide the itinerary and copy of registration form for the conference (including dates, where the conference is being held and a detailed schedule of events) and a receipt or a confirmation of the total amount of the conference stating who attended the conference and the number of participants.

P-Card Purchasing Payment and Reconciliation in WORKS

  1. What forms need to be completed to document the purchases made on the Purchasing Card? All P-card transactions are reconciled online via Works. The cover sheet (Visa Approval Form), bank statement, WORKS GL Memo Statement report and original invoices/receipts must be sent to Procurement Services by the 5th of the month. Transactions must be reconciled by the last business day of the month in Works.
  2. Who needs to sign my Visa Packet? Clayton State University requires two approvals for Purchasing Card package. The cardholder’s approval is required and cannot be delegated. The second approval may be anyone delegated the authority to approve on behalf of the department. However, no one individual may approve a form in more than one capacity. If the subject of any transaction is the person with designated signature authority, an additional level of approval (above the cardholder or subject of transaction) is required. It is the cardholder/traveler and department's responsibility to ensure that the appropriate/approved departmental approvals are obtained, and/or to obtain multiple departmental approvals. A cardholder cannot authorize another to approve in their place.
  3. When is the Visa Packet due in the Procurement Services Office? The completed Purchasing Card package and acceptable documentation must be submitted to Procurement Services each month by the 5th. If the 5th falls on a holiday or weekend the packet should be submitted the prior business day.
  4. What happens if I do not get my packet to the Procurement Services office by the 5th? An email will be sent to the cardholder alerting them that their VISA packet has not been received. Failure to comply with this rule may result in card suspension and/or revocation.
  5. What is a Purchasing Card Coversheet? The cover sheet (Visa Approval Form).
  6. What is the required order of documentation for the VISA P-Card Packet?
  • Completed VISA Approval Form
  • Bank Statement from Bank of America
  • Printed CSU GL Memo Statement (must have clear business purpose in comment field of each transaction)
  • All receipts/invoices/documentation to support charges - must be in the same date order as the way it appears on the statement


  1. Who can I call if I have a question regarding the Purchasing Card? You can contact the P-Card Administrator, Tiffany Hines via email at or phone at (678) 466-5513.