Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated
Rho Lambda Chapter
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated was founded on November 12, 1922 on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana by seven women:
- Mary Lou Allison Gardner Little
- Nannie Mae Gahn Johnson
- Vivian White Marbury
- Bessie Mae Rhoades Downey Martin
- Cubena McClure
- Hattie Mae Annette Dulin Redford
- Dorothy Hanley Whiteside
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. was founded on the precept of high scholastic attainment, greater service to all mankind, and true sisterhood. At a time when education for minorities was difficult to attain, the founders of Sigma Gamma Rho became educators. They believed the self-respect, knowledge, and discipline gained through study would help individuals recognize their duty and responsibility to their society.
Since its birth, the sorority has grown into an international non-profit organization of women with over 80,000 members in more than 500 chapters throughout the United States, the Caribbean and Africa.
The Rho Lambda Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho was chartered on November 9, 2007 at Clayton State University in Morrow, Georgia.
- Hattie McDaniel : Academy Award Winning Actress
- Victoria Rowell: Star of the Young and the Restless and Author
- MC Lyte: Hip-Hop Artist and Moderator
- Kelly Price: Grammy Award Winning Singer
- Ms. Dupree: Comedian featured on the Tom Joyner Morning Show
- Lorraine E. Hale, Ph.D: Executive director of Hale House Center, Inc. New York
- Geneva Reed-Veal: Mother to social activist Sandra Bland
- Deshauna Barber: 2016-2017 Miss USA
- Alia Atkinson: 2016 Olympian
Most Recent Community Service/Educational Activities
Cupcakes and Condoms (2014 -present) Self Defense Workshop
For additional information about the Rho Lambda Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated, please visit the national website at www.SGRho1922.org or contact the chapter at RhoLambda07@gmail.com.