Dental Hygiene Pinning Ceremony
The Dental Hygiene Recognition and Pinning Ceremony convenes yearly during the week of spring commencement.
The ceremony is a time for The Department of Dental Hygiene at Clayton State University to recognize the many accomplishments of the senior students and present awards from specific oral health societies and companies. The lapel pin each student receives at graduation signifies their entry into the dental hygiene profession.
During the ceremony, the following awards are presented to deserving senior students:
- The Emile T. Fisher Foundation for Dental Education Award is presented to a dental hygiene student who has demonstrated need, maintains a cumulative grade point average of 2.50, intends to practice in Georgia, and has been nominated by dental hygiene faculty.
- The American Association of Public Health Dentistry Certificate is awarded to the dental hygiene student who has demonstrated a special interest and achievement in Community Dentistry and Dental Public Health.
- The Colgate Oral Health Advisor Star Award is presented to a dental hygiene student who demonstrates true dedication to the dental hygiene profession, exhibits compassion in patient care, and displays enthusiasm for community service.
- The Hinman Scholar Award is presented to a dental hygiene student who has demonstrated outstanding academic scholarship, exemplifies professionalism, and recognizes their commitment and potential to serve the dental hygiene profession and public in an outstanding manner.
- The Sigma Phi Alpha Award is the national honor society for dental hygiene students and faculty, and members are selected from the top 20% of the graduating class based on academic status, professionalism, clinical competence and potential for life-long learning.
- The Hu-Friedy Golden Scaler Award is provided by the Hu-Friedy Company and is awarded to the one student whom the faculty believes has exhibited outstanding overall clinic grades, outstanding grades on difficult patients, professionalism, cooperation, willingness to work with others, and professional demeanor with patients and faculty.
- The Outstanding BSDH Student Award is presented each year to the student identified by the dental hygiene faculty as having demonstrated exemplary academics, clinical skills and leadership, and is also recognized as having the potential to further the profession of dental hygiene through their dental hygiene practice and scholarly activity.
- The Outstanding RDH-BSDH Student Award is presented to the registered dental hygienist identified as having demonstrated exemplary academics, clinical skills and leadership, and is also recognized as having the potential to further the profession of dental hygiene through their dental hygiene practice and scholarly activity.
- Alan Thornberg Scholarship is provided by T-Management and will be presented to one student identified by collaboratively by dental hygiene faculty and T-Management as having demonstrated a professional commitment to through community service, clinical skills, and leadership. One recipient will receive a paid scholarship to cover the costs of the CRDTS examination approximately $1025.
- Dentistry for Children Distinguished Clinician Award ($600 & certificate) is provided by Dentistry for Children and will be presented to a student that has expressed an interest in working in pediatrics in the future, as well as displaying exceptional clinical skills, exemplary academics, and community outreach.
- Cloud Dentistry Dental Hygiene Devotion Award ($500 & certificate) is provided by Cloud Dentistry and will be presented to one student based on academics and their passion for the profession of dental hygiene.