Macots can make appearances at on-campus events including, but not limited to:
- Campus-sanctioned events
- Welcome Week Activities
- Pep Rallies
- Athletics Events
- Service or Event Promotions
- Events organized by Recognized Student Organizations
- Events organized by campus service departments (Homecoming, Open House, Freshman Premier, etc.)
- Alumni events
As a rule, Mascots do not make appearances at non-CSU related off-campus events. However, with special approval, Mascots can make appearances at off-campus events such as championship games, Board of Regents events, campus promotional events, Homecoming parades, etc.
Non-qualifying events (some exceptions may be made)
- Off-campus, non-athletic events
- Parties, reunions, receptions. etc.
Reservations and scheduling All requests for Mascots will be coordinated by the Department of Athletics and authorized based upon availability and appropriateness of event.
- Requests must be submitted online via Qualtrics survey at least two weeks prior to event - https://claytonstate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3mA7f9u2J3gwk0B
- By submitting a request, requestors acknowledge agreement of these policies and procedures.
- By submitting a request, you acknowledge availability of sufficient funds in your payroll account to cover appearance fees (see below).
Weekday (Monday - Friday)
$30 minimum for first 2-hour increment (or partial) $15.00 per hour (or partial) beyond first two hours
Weekend (Saturday or Sunday)
$40/two-hour event (or partial) $20.00 per hour (or partial) beyond first two hours
All funds will go to student playing Mascot. The Department of Athletics retains none of the fee.
- Mascot fees will post to the requesting department’s payroll.
Appearance Policies Event expectations (appropriate/inappropriate behavior)
While performing at an event, the Mascot is expected to interact and perform as appropriate for the venue and event.
- Mascot’s identity should be kept secret at all times.
- Be a positive representative of the University and promote school spirit.
- Should not be a distraction during the national anthem, when another group is performing, when someone is speaking, during serious injuries, or anytime that is deemed inappropriate.
- Never dress/undress in public.
- Never speak while in costume except to the handler as needed.
- Never degrade officials, athletes, or any guests of an event.
Arrival time for events
- Mascot will arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to the beginning of each event to dress and prepare for event.
Handler/Assistant Requesting department is expected to provide a handler/assistant for the Mascot before, during, and after an event. Handler’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assistance with getting into and out of costume, if needed
- Escort to performance location
- Crowd control at event
- Communication with individuals or groups on behalf of the Mascot (Mascot is not allowed to speak while performing)
- Encourage crowd participation
- Assist the Mascot with movement from location to location
- Assist with handling small items or fliers because of the Mascot’s limited dexterity
- Monitor the Mascot’s physical needs such as water and break from wearing the head piece
- The Mascot should be given at least one water break during any event over one hour or as needed based upon heat.
- Water or costume breaks should be conducted in private.
- We request at least 48 hours notice to cancel an appearance by the Mascot at an event.
- Cancellations should be submitted by email to Sherry Echols (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Department of Athletics.