What is MFA @ CSU?
MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication) is a method of identity verification that requires at least two steps of authentication before granting access, providing protection against identity theft as well as safeguarding access to data and applications. In addition to your username and password, you will be asked to provide a second method of verification using your mobile device.
MFA is a best practice at universities, financial institutions, and online email providers because it presents significant challenges for attackers due to the layered structure of the process. Even if an attacker manages to obtain your password, it is useless without also having possession of your device. Should you lose your device, the person who finds it will not be able to use it unless they also know your account password.
MFA is enforced on all CSU accounts without exception.
Authenticating with your personal device (phone call or text) DOES NOT place you under agreement with the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy.
How MFA Works
When navigating to Office 365 or OneUSG, you will be redirected to the federation page and asked to choose a verification method that will be sent to your Mobile Phone provided in the Campus Directory.
Send notification to my Mobile App
You will receive a message through the Microsoft Authenticator App. Select Approve or Deny access. If Approved is selected, the screen will automatically change, logging you into your account.
Send notification via Phone Call
You will receive a call on your mobile device. When you answer the call, follow the instructions to approve access. The screen will automatically change, logging you into your account.
Send notification via Text
You will be texted a code on your mobile device. Enter the verification code on the login page. The screen will automatically change, logging you into your account.
Use verification code from my Mobile App
You will be prompted to enter the six digit verification code for your Clayton State account you set up in the Microsoft Authenticator mobile app.
Download and Install the Microsoft Authenticator App
In order to use MFA, download and install the Microsoft Authenticator App.
Mobile App Instructions
The Microsoft Authenticator app can be used to sign into accounts when using two-factor verification. It should be noted that the authenticator app is one verification option out of three and you are not required to install it.
When installing the app, make sure to read the terms and conditions and if you agree, grant it access to your camera for you to be able to scan the QR code later.
Install the latest version of the Microsoft Authenticator app, based on your phone’s operating system.
- On your Android device, go to Google Play to DOWNLOAD and install the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- On your Apple iOS device, go to the App Store to DOWNLOAD and install the Microsoft Authenticator app.
After you download and install the app, add your CSU account following the steps in the next section.
Add your CSU Account to the Microsoft Authenticator app.
1. Browse to MFA LOGIN and sign in with your CSU credentials.
2. You will be prompted to provide a one-time passcode. Click Authenticate and a text will be sent to your mobile device with the authentication code.
3. In the My Account menu, click Activate Mobile App.
4. Click Generate Activation Code Activation Code.
5. A QR code will appear on your screen (simular to the one shown below). Leave this screen up for the next step.
6. Open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device and select the option to add an account. When prompted for what type of account you are adding, select Work or school account. After you select this option you will get a screen on your mobile device to scan the QR code. Position the camera of your mobile device over the QR code until it successfully scans the code and adds the account.
7. Once your account has been added to the Microsoft Authenticator app switch back to your browser and click Complete Activation. You will receive a message on screen saying that activation is complete. The app is now ready for use.
8. In the My Account menu, click Change Method.
9. Select the method you prefer to use to use from the drop-down menu.
10. After making your selection click on the Save button.
11. Even though you may have selected one of these options as your default, you will still be presented with all three options when logging in to Office 365 via the web or OneUSG on a browser, as shown in the screenshot below. When presented with the three options you may choose any of them. For other applications, such as adding email on your mobile device, MFA will use the option you selected in the previous step.
Do I need to authenticate every time I log on?
For OneUSG, you need to authenticate every time you log on. For logins to Office 365 via the web, you have the option to have your browser “remember” you and will see this option when you log in.
You will not need to log in every time you open Outlook or other apps such as Teams, but occasionally you may be prompted by these programs to sign in again and you will need to authenticate at that point.
What if I am out of the country?
If you do not have mobile service while out of the country, you will need to install the Microsoft Authenticator app, which will work with Wi-Fi service.
What if I change my number?
If you change your number, update your information in the Campus Directory. If you are keeping the same mobile device and just changing the number, the Microsoft Authenticator app will still work. If you are getting a new number and a new mobile device, the app will need to be installed again as outlined in this document.
Contact the Hub at (678) 466-4357 or email@example.com.
1. Browse to DIRECTORY
2. Click LOG IN to update your information.
3. Enter your CSU credentials and click LOG IN.
4. Upon logging in, please update the Personal Contact Information section. Home Phone, Mobile Phone, and Personal Email Address are required for the MFA process.
5. After entering in your information, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click SAVE.