English, BA with Liberal Studies, MA Combined Degree
Combined Degree: Bachelor of Arts in English and a Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (MALS) with an English Concentration
The Department of English and the School of Graduate Studies offer a combined Bachelor’s and Master’s degree program in which students earn both degrees within five years.
Bachelor of Arts in English with Liberal Studies
Throughout their coursework, students will learn to understand multiple perspectives, make connections across disciplines, and critically evaluate, interpret, and synthesize information from various sources. Furthermore, students will learn to read critically, write effectively, think analytically, work collaboratively, apply technology, and communicate clearly. Students will have the opportunity to practice these skills as they work with professors on research projects or as they participate in one of the internships hosted by our department in producing the Cygnet (our literary magazine), publishing Connections (our First-Year Writing textbook) or The Vibrant Voice (our newsletter), or writing for social media.
BA in English Program Outcomes
- Analyze and evaluate texts that reflect diverse genres, time periods, and cultures.
- Analyze the ways in which language and literature are informed by elements of culture, such as ethnicity, gender, histories, religious or philosophical identity, race, and sexuality.
- Interpret texts from various perspectives by using close readings supported by textual evidence and informed by critical theory.
- Produce a variety of multimodal materials, such as visual, sonic, gestural, spatial, non-verbal, and electronic texts, for a range of creative and rhetorical contexts and audiences.
- Conduct effective research and writing by using a variety of technological and information sources.
Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
The Master of Arts in Liberal Studies degree (MALS) is a flexible interdisciplinary program designed for a wide spectrum of individuals: recent college graduates, professionals in the public and private sectors, current and prospective teachers, lawyers, state workers, non-profit arts administrators, private business owners, among others.
MALS in English Program Outcomes
- Strengthen students’ capacity to think critically and creatively.
- Grow in their understanding of cultural relevance and global awareness.
- Cultivate their analytical and communication skills to reach their full potential.
- Develop and expand a commitment to others.
- Attain a liberal studies perspective on contemporary problems and opportunities.
- Broaden their general knowledge and satisfy their intellectual curiosity.
- Gain insights into the relationships between disciplines, ideas, and historical developments.
- Prepare for a range of career options and further study.
Attain knowledge and soft skills that are transferable to multiple professional settings.