The 10th Annual Diversity & Leadership Institute"The Freedom Ride"
Save the date! Friday, October 12th Clayton State University Student Activities Center
The Diversity and Leadership Institute is a professional development opportunity for individuals from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to exchange information, dialogue, and engage in critical thinking exercises. Through the various conference presentations and activities, participants will hopefully become more aware of their identities, biases, and societal positions as well as enhance their multicultural competency, and leadership skill-set; in addition, apply information and behaviors learned to social, classroom, and professional settings.
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Shakeer Abdullah, Vice-President, Student Affairs
Click here for registration. LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT DOMAINS:
- Develop a common understanding of diversity, multiculturalism, and social justice and learn about other cultural groups
- Become self-aware of ones’ own identity, biases, triggers and comfort zones
- Learn how to work collaboratively with people different from self and consider others' points of view
- Analyze the influences of social identities on leadership style
- Exhibit democratic principles as a leader or group member
Civic Engagement & Social Responsibility
- Recognize social systems and their influence on specific groups
- Identify appropriate advocacy strategies to address social issues
- Identify individual goals to enhance personal and professional growth and development
- Construct an action plan to improve in identified areas of growth
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills learned in the classroom, workplace, and in their community
Featuring interactive workshops, courageous conversations, and a Faculty Specific Track, this year’s institute will educate and inform the campus community of the freedoms of speech, assembly, and expression and the rights associated with exercising these freedoms!
REGISTRATION: (Includes continental breakfast and lunch, conference t-shirt, and registration material.)
Complete the registration application in its entirety. Incomplete registration applications will not be accepted. Deadline: October 5th, 2018.
If you require an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Atawanna Royal via email or (678) 466-5433 to communicate your needs. Early notification is encouraged. Requests should be submitted a minimum of two (2) weeks prior to the event in order to facilitate reasonable accommodations. For additional questions, contact the Department of Campus Life at (678) 466-5433.
CHECK-IN Check-in information available soon.
ATTIRE Please dress casually. Our facility has pre-set temperature controls, but does fluctuate occasionally. We recommend bringing a light jacket or sweater. All conference participation will be provided a conference t-shirt to be worn during the institute. SOCIAL MEDIA All conference participant are encouraged to connect with us before, during and after the institute through Twitter (@CSUCampusLife) and Instagram (@CSUCampusLife) using #FreedomRideCSU