The Clayton State University Library welcomes the donation of all formats of research materials, including books, journals, sound and video recordings, photographs, and manuscripts, as well as monetary gifts for the purchase of library materials. Donations must supplement the Library’s current collections and support the institution’s curriculum and research needs. Gifts are accepted or declined in accordance with the criteria established in the library's and University Archives’ Collection Development policies.
Conditions for Acceptance
- Prior to accepting any donation regardless of the size, the Department Head of Collection and Resource Management in conjunction with the Department Head of Access, Research, and Instructional Services and the Dean of Libraries will determine if the materials support the curriculum and research needs of the campus community and/or fill a gap in the current library collection.
- Materials for the University Archives will be vetted and accepted by the University Archivist. The University Archivist reserves the right to accept, reject, or otherwise dispose of any donated materials. Once accepted, all materials become the property of the University Archives.
- Upon acceptance, the donor will be referred to the Department Head of Collection and Resource Management or University Archivist to arrange a mutually agreed upon time to receive gifts and to ensure formal acknowledgement and consideration. After acceptance of the gift, the donor receives a letter of thanks and acknowledgement from the Executive Assistant to the Dean.
- Once gifts are received by the Department Head of Collection and Resource Management, all materials become the property of the Clayton State Library. The library reserves the right to accept, reject, sell, or otherwise dispose of donated materials based on recommendations from library faculty/subject liaisons and the Department Head of Collection and Resource Management.
- The library does not accept gifts that have undue restrictions or conditions placed upon the use of items or monetary gifts.
- The Clayton State Library will not appraise or assign monetary value to donated materials. Donors who wish to claim gifts as an income tax deduction should arrange to have an evaluation made by an independent appraiser prior to donation of the materials.