Foreign Language Achievement Testing Service
Clayton State University students may earn credit for languages not covered by the College-level Examination Program (CLEP) through the Foreign Language Achievement Testing Service (FLATS). FLATS is offered through Brigham Young University (BYU); the total cost for a Clayton State University student to take an online FLATS test is $70.
Do not order FLATS exams for Spanish, French, and German as CLEP tests are required for these languages at Clayton State University.
The 50 FLATS tests have listening, reading and grammar components, and they cover the equivalent of the first three semesters of a language, LANG 1001, LANG 1002, and LANG 2001. There are no recommended study materials, but candidates are encouraged to prepare by reading the language and by talking with others who know the language. FLATS tests are multiple-choice. Candidates are allowed up to two and a half hours for testing.
Brigham Young University (BYU) will evaluate whether your exam is equivalent to none, one, two, or all three of the languages courses (0, 3, 6, or 9 credit hours), and Clayton State will award credit based on the BYU evaluation. Tests are evaluated on a pass/fail basis.
If you are interested in receiving credit for a language other than Spanish, French, or German at Clayton State University, follow these steps to register for a FLATS exam:
- Check to see if your choice of language test is available. Note the additional charge if the language test is in paper form.
- Talk with your advisor to see how the credit will fit into your curriculum.
- Complete the FLATS Registration Form for Online Testing at this site: https://flats.byu.edu/signupall.php?x=8 by using the following information for Proctor Information:
Name: Clayton State University Testing Center
Department: Testing Center: Clayton State University
Address: 2000 Clayton State Blvd.
City, State Zip code: Morrow, GA 30260
- Confirm Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the Results Sent To section using the same information entered in the section above.
- Click the Proceed to Payment button and pay $50 by Discover, Master Card, or Visa. Paper exams will cost $75. Call the FLATS office of BYU at (801) 422-3512 to order a paper exam.
- Email the Testing Center at email@example.com at the Clayton State University Testing Center to schedule an appointment at least 10 days before you plan to test.
- Please bring a photo ID and $20 payable with a credit or debit card to the Testing Center on the day of your exam. Effective immediately the Testing Center is no longer accepting cash as a form of payment.
- The Testing Center will administer the test, and BYU will receive the completed online test electronically. If the exam is done on paper, the Testing Center will send BYU the exam materials by certified mail.
- Brigham Young University will email, then mail your results to you; a little later they will mail your results to the Testing Center.
- The Testing Center will forward the evaluation credit report to the Registrar's Office for credit to be awarded to your records.
The Testing Center is located at Clayton State - East,121 Arbor Hall, 5823 Trammell Road, Morrow, GA 30260 View the map