Insurance & Claims Procedures
Property Risk Management
The Georgia Department of Administrative Services (DOAS) provides insurance to Clayton State University (CSU) and the University System of Georgia Board of Regents through a self-insured program. The types of insurance coverage's are: Building and Content, All Risk, Auto Physical Damage, General Liability, and Fidelity Bond. Excess insurance is purchased by DOAS to insure against catastrophic losses and to protect the assets of the State of Georgia.
Risk Management policies and procedures are established guidelines to assist those who may have questions concerning risk, liability, insurance coverage, or the processing of claims. Final approval of all claims rest with the State Department of Administrative Services. In addition, all suits and legal actions become the responsibility of the Board of Regents and the Department of Law.
Loss to Covered Property
All causes of loss to covered property, with the exception of those shown below are subject to a $1,500 deductible. The $1,500 deductible will be reduced to $1,000 for Georgia agencies participating in the DOAS CLCP.
- Where the cause of loss is burglary, laptop computers are subject to a $1,500 deductible per unit and subject to maximum aggregate loss deductible of $25,000 per occurrence. A burglary claim must be supported on the police report as forcible entry.
For each covered “auto”, the obligation of DOAS to pay for, repair, return or replace damaged or stolen “auto” will be reduced by the following applicable $500 deductibles.
- Agencies participating in the CLCP will have their collision and comprehensive loss deductibles waived for a loss other than one involving a rear end collision or colliding with a fixed object, including a parked vehicle.
Procedures for Establishing a Claim
Claims regarding building and content, all risk, and liability may be initiated by following the procedures below:
Note: The mysterious disappearance of an item is not a covered cause of loss
- Notify law enforcement authorities where appropriate, either Clayton State University Public Safety office at (678) 466-4050, or the local police authorities.
- Take the necessary steps to protect the property from further damage.
- All property losses or damage to items under the All Risk policy must be reported to the Clayton State Public Safety office (678) 466-4050. Report all claims to the Risk Management Office within 48 hours of the incident via email at: email@example.com of by phone at (678) 466-4215.
- DOAS Risk Management may assign an investigator to investigate the claim.
- Provide all supporting documentation for the claim requested by DOAS Risk Management Service including estimates of repair or replacement. This can include: incident reports, statements of witnesses, correspondence, photographs, bill and estimates. You may send all documentation to Trinelle Gillespie
- Final repair or replacement cost documentation must be provided to DOAS Risk Management with 30 days of the incident.
Note: If property is recovered that was previously part of a loss settlement, the DOAS Risk Management Services department must be notified. The institution may be required to return the previous settlement amount. An additional settlement may be possible to cover recovery expenses and the expenses to repair the recovered property.
Vehicle Loss or Damaged
All vehicle accidents regardless of fault should be immediately reported to the appropriate police agency and your immediate supervisor. Motor vehicle accidents occurring on campus must be reported to the Clayton State police. Those accidents occurring off campus must be reported to the appropriate police department immediately.
- Report accident to the Claims Center by calling 1-877-656-7475 within 48 hours. Information you will need is outlined on the back of your yellow State of Georgia Insurance card.
- After calling the claim center, call (678-466-4215) or email Trinelle Gillespie at firstname.lastname@example.org with the claim report number and the police case number within 48 hours of the accident.
The most DOAS will pay for “loss” is the lesser of:
- The “actual cash value” of the damaged or stolen auto as of the time of the loss; or
- The actual value of the vehicle listed on the Automobile Register Inventory, or
- The cost of repairing or replacing the damaged or stolen auto with like kind and quality
If the covered auto is determined to be a total loss, the “loss” will be settled on the actual cash value of the covered auto as shown as the retail value in the NADA book at the time of the “accident” or some other valuation method utilized by DOAS.
A covered “auto” will be considered a total loss when the cost to repair the auto exceeds 65% of the retail value as established by NADA or some other valuation method utilized by DOAS.
The actual cost of towing and Storage of the auto, however, is not to exceed a total combined sum of $400 unless there are special circumstances as determined by DOAS.
Certificate of Insurance (PDF)
All Risk Insurance
The All Risk policy insures property items not covered by the State Owned Building and Content Property Agreement. The following coverage's are available: Money & Securities, Fine Art, Hull, Non-State Owned Property, and Transient State Property.
Clayton State is billed an annual premium for All Risk Coverage. Transient Equipment and Non-Owned State Property are insured at 15 cents per $100 market value. Fine Art is 25 cents per $100 appraisal value. Money and securities are $75 per $5,000 coverage limit. The deductible is $1,000 per occurrence unless otherwise stated. The $1,000 deductible will be reduced to $500 for Georgia agencies participating in the DOAS CLCP.
All Risk Agreement (PDF)
Building and Contents
The State Owned Building and Content coverage provides for direct physical loss or damage to state owned property. Covered causes of loss include: fire, lightening ( a Lightening Affidavit must be completed by a licensed electrician), windstorm, hail, smoke, vandalism, sprinkler leakage, flood, and water damage. Clayton State is billed an annual premium for Building and Content coverage. The premium is .10 cents per $100 replacement value.
Reimbursement for a loss is based on the cost to repair or replace the building and/or contents with property of like kind and quality. All covered cause of loss are subject to a $1,500 deductible per occurrence. Laptop computers are subject to a $1,500 deductible per unit where the cause of loss is burglary. A burglary claim must be supported on the police report as forcible entry.
All property losses or damages to Clayton State owned property or contents must be reported to Public Safety (678-466-4050). Report all claims to Trinelle Gillespie at (678-466-4215) or email@example.com within 48 hours of the incident.
Note: Buildings that are not state-owned and under a lease agreement can not be insured. Only the contents housed in the leased building can be insured.
General liability is provided for Clayton State through the General Liability Agreement. The policy provides coverage for those employees of the State, Clayton State and the USG Board of Regents against personal liability for damages arising out of the performance of their job duties. The limits of liability are $500,000 per occurrence.
The State Tort Claims policy protects the State, Clayton State and the USG Board of Regents against liability for torts (wrongful acts) committed by their employees while acting within the course and scope of their official duties of employment. The limits of liability are statutorily set at $1,000,000 per person and $3,000,000 per occurrence.
State Tort Claims Policy (PDF)
Money, Securities and Fidelity Bonds
The Fidelity Bond coverage protects the State’s assets from losses due to the dishonest acts of its employees or the failure of the employees to faithfully perform their job duties.
All incidents of employee dishonesty that result in a loss of Clayton States’ money’s, securities, and property must be report to Public Safety (678-466-4050) immediately.
Notify Trinelle Gillespie at (678-466-4215) or firstname.lastname@example.org with 48 hours of the incident.
Vehicle Insurance and Liability
The Auto Physical Damaged coverage provides collision and comprehensive coverage for vehicles owned by Clayton State and leased vehicles if the lease is in excess of 30 days and there is no intent to purchase the leased vehicle. A leased vehicle must be in the name of Clayton State University. The deductible is $500.
The Automobile Liability coverage protects the employees of the State, Clayton State University, and the University System of Georgia Board of Regents against personal liability for damages arising out of the operation of state owned, personally owned, leased or short term rental vehicles, while acting within the course and scope of their official duties of employment. The self insured auto liability program is included under the State Tort Claims Policy and General Liability.
Each driver operating a University vehicle must:
- have a valid and appropriated class driver’s license for the vehicle being operated
- have permission to operated the vehicle from the employee designated as being responsible for the particular vehicle being used
- use each vehicle only for State business. Vehicles used during an employee’s lunch hour are not considered official business unless they are in the course and scope of their duties.
Note: It is recommended that only University employees be allowed to drive or ride in University vehicles.
Volunteers (whether or not receiving compensation) have liability coverage under the General Liability, State Tort Claims Act, and Auto Liability policy while participating in a structured volunteer program organized, controlled, and directed by the University for the purpose of carrying out the functions of Clayton State.
Link to video that explains when employees are and when they are not insured.
- Go to www.doas.georgia.gov
- Click on Risk Management Services
- Click on Auto Liability Safety video and when you are done
- Complete the acknowledgement form verifying you have seen the video
Clayton State is charged an annual premium of $1.00 per $100 of market value for each vehicle.
For additional information concerning coverage, policy exclusions, liabilities and definitions visit: http://doas.georgia.gov, Risk Management Services.
General Liability Accident Form - This form is used to report personal injuries or property damage for non-state employees.
Lightning Affidavit - This form is used to confirm lightening coverage under the State Owned Building & Personal Property Agreement. The form must be completed by a licensed electrician.
Notice of Loss - This form is used to report all property related claims.
Sworn Proof of Loss - This form is submitted in conjunction with paid invoices/proof payment to process claim reimbursement to the agencies. This form must be notarized and approved by senior management.