Career Opportunities in Communications and Media Studies
The Communication and Media Studies major prepares students for careers in some of the fastest growing sectors of the local and national economy.
Atlanta: The Place for Communication and Media Professionals
- Home to major employers like Turner Broadcasting, Cumulus Media, Tyler Perry Studios, Coca-Cola, Home Depot, UPS, and Delta
- One of the top five cities in the US for media jobs (The Balance)
- Dozens of public relations firms in the metro area (Clutch)
- 80 radio stations within listening range of the city (Radio-Locator)
- Over 3,200 full time positions at the top 50 advertising and marketing firms in Atlanta (AJC)
- More than 150 recording studios and 20,000 jobs in the music industry (GDEcD)
- Over 2,000 film and television production-related companies (GDEcD)
MEDIA DESIGN AND PRODUCTION
Communication professionals need diverse experience including print, still photography, audio, and video. They may design a social media marketing campaign, produce a video or podcast, author a blog, redesign a website, or create promotional flyers or brochures.
ORGANIZATIONAL AND CORPORATE COMMUNICATION
Organizations large and small, public and private, need managers, trainers, and human resources professionals to ensure effective communication and smooth operations within the organization, as well as advertisers, marketers, and public relations professionals to communicate with external stakeholders.
ADVOCACY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE
Communication professionals are often called to public service. You’ll find them in churches, advocacy groups, non-profits, and government agencies, where they analyze public discourse on controversial topics, design persuasive campaigns, and serve as effective representatives to the public.