Students in the RN-BSN completion track must complete NURS3201-Health Assessment and NURS3202-Health Assessment Lab. These courses provide the RN student with the knowledge necessary to perform a health assessment on adults and use critical thinking skills to identify risk factors for actual or potential alterations in health. Emphasis will be placed on interviewing and taking a health history. The courses also focus on differentiating between normal and abnormal physical findings when conducting a head-to-toe physical examination.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the prerequisite courses for NURS3201 and NURS3202?
- NURS3101-Professional Issues is a pre- or co-requisite.
Is the course 100% online?
- Yes, Clayton State University provides the RN student with software for submission of course and lab assignments and to view resources and videos.
What methods of instructions are utilized?
- Adult learning theory is utilized with emphasis on weekly preparation, and completion of online modules, self-assessments and active participation in learning experiences.
- Learning methods employed are case studies, role modeling, physical assessments, quizzes, discussions, demonstration videos, and other teaching-learning strategies.
- Weekly online participation/attendance is expected of all students to facilitate meeting course objectives and student success in this course.
How and when do I select an appropriate preceptor?
- Each preceptor must possess a Bachelors of Science in Nursing or higher nursing degree.
- Student must submit preceptor information for faculty approval in the semester prior to enrollment in NURS3201 and NURS3202.
Should my preceptor complete any forms?
- Yes, upon faculty approval, both the student and preceptor must complete appropriate forms to document lab performance.
Can I satisfy lab requirement(s) at my current place of employment?
- Yes, with faculty approval.
How are course assignments submitted and evaluated?
- Course assignments for NURS3201 are submitted into the classroom management system (D2L). The RN student will receive a letter grade.
How are lab assignments submitted and evaluated?
- Lab assignments for NURS3202 are submitted into the classroom management system (D2L). As opposed to a letter grade, the RN student will receive either satisfactory (S) or unsatisfactory (U). A satisfactory grade is required in order to progress in the nursing program and graduate.
Is a final head to toe check-off required for NURS3202?
- Yes, approved preceptor will document check-off performance. As opposed to a letter grade, the RN student will receive either satisfactory (S) or unsatisfactory (U). A satisfactory grade is required in order to progress in the nursing program and graduate.
Course Sequence (PDF)