Health Care Management (HCM) students must complete the Internship/Practicum (HCMG 4970) course as part of the program requirements. This course requires the student to develop individual learning objectives collaborated with their faculty facilitator and chosen preceptor(s) at the onset of the course. The internship will enable students to obtain practical skills, broaden exposure to specialty areas, explore arenas with which they are unfamiliar, and apply theory learned throughout the curriculum.
Deadline for the ILA submission is on or before the following dates:
Fall 2020: July 24, 2020
Spring 2020: November 20, 2020
Summer 2021: April 23, 2021
This link https://claytonstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0V4pYhEEsGTMwst?Q_JFE=qdg is for HCMG students to request overrides into HCMG courses, HCMG 4999 Capstone Course, and HCMG 4970 Internship/Practicum .
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I enroll in HCMG4970-Internship/Practicum?
- HCMG 4970 should be taken in the last semester of the program enrollment.
What documentation must be submitted before I can be registered in HCMG4970?
- Internship Learning Agreement – signed by preceptor(s) and approved by course instructor(s)
- Criminal Background Check and Drug Screening — completed by AdvantageStudents, if required
- Health Insurance, if required
What if I fail to provide the requested information?
- If you fail to provide all documentation on or before the deadline date established each semester by the Internship Coordinator, you will NOT be registered for HCMG 4970.
- Late forms will not be accepted!
What are the learning objectives?
- Healthcare Finance/Reimbursement
- Regulatory Agencies
- Managing People
- Appropriate objectives suggested by the course instructor(s) and/or your preceptor(s)
What should I expect from my internship?
- If you are unsure about what to expect from your internship and have not chosen a site, schedule an appointment to discuss your learning objectives, career goals and a potential site.
- To facilitate finding a site, think about what job you are seeking upon completion of graduation. Be realistic!
- To further help you define your career goals, ask yourself why you decided to pursue the Health Care Management major originally? Be prepared to discuss where you would like to complete your internship and what you want to learn.
What are the steps for completing the internship process?
- Locate a health care facility from local HMO, hospital, doctor’s office, non-profit org, insurance, pharmacy, medical devices company, etc.
- Meet with the course instructor to discuss learning objectives, career goals, and organization.
- Meet with your preceptor to discuss objectives and obtain his/her signature.
- Return “typed written” form – error free to course instructor for approval/denial.
- If DENIED, you will have to make the necessary corrections before resubmitting.
- If APPROVED, the form will be forwarded to the Office of Academic Advisement for processing.
- Student will be added to the course and notified by Advising Office.
Who should I contact to discuss my potential site, learning objectives, expectations, job title and description?
- Schedule an appointment with "Deborah Gritzmacher" in AdvisorConnect, which can be accessed via the Swan Portal.
Health Care Management Department
College of Health
Clayton Hall, Room T-130C
2000 Clayton State Blvd
Morrow, GA 30260-0285
Office: (678) 466-4934
Fax: (678) 466-4599