CAPS employs the services of a psychiatrist to assist in the psychological assessment and treatment (including psychotropic medications) of students being seen at Counseling and Psychological Services. In order to see the psychiatrist, all students must first have an initial appointment with a Counseling and Psychological Services staff member. The counselor you meet with will refer you to the psychiatrist if he/she determines a referral is warranted.
Following is a summary of policies regarding seeing the psychiatrist:
Before you see the doctor, we want you to be aware of special policies for seeing the psychiatrist.
- For your first appointment, the doctor will need to see you for an hour. Subsequent appointments are no more than 30 minutes in duration.
- You will receive a reminder telephone call on the day prior to your appointment.
- Should you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call at least 24 hours before your appointment (678-466-5406).
- If you miss an appointment, you must meet with your counselor before another psychiatrist appointment will be scheduled.
- All students seeing the psychiatrist must meet with a counselor. Students may not see the psychiatrist unless they are clients of the center and attending counseling sessions. The psychiatrist, in consultation with your counselor, will determine the frequency of counseling appointments needed.
- If you are prescribed medication, you will be given enough medication to last you until your next follow-up visit. It can be dangerous to change your medicine on your own, or to stop taking the medicine, without first consulting with your physician. Do not miss your appointments so that you do not run out of medication.