Who is The National Society of Leadership and Success?
The NSLS is the nation's largest leadership honor society. Students are selected by their college for membership based on either academic standing or leadership potential. Candidacy is a nationally recognized achievement of honorable distinction. With 687 chapters, the NSLS currently has 1,033,379 members nationwide.
In addition to honorable distinction, the NSLS provides a step-by-step program for members to build their leadership skills through participation at their campus or online. Upon completion of the program, members receive their leadership certificate and take their place among the top student leaders at their campus and across the country. Members are able to list their affiliation on all statements of personal accomplishment, including their resume.
Membership is for life and provides access to benefits including scholarships and awards, exclusive on-campus events, employer recruitment through an online job bank, and discounts on computers, textbooks, grad school prep courses, insurance and much more.
The NSLS Program
Students accept their nomination to become recognized as members of the NSLS. However, to achieve induction members must attend Orientation, Leadership Training Day, 3 Speaker Broadcasts and 3 Success Networking Team meetings.
This is the first event on campus for new members. Students learn the steps of the leadership development program and the schedule of events for the semester.
Leadership Training Day
Student members attend an interactive video training session where they identify goals and overcome obstacles. This interactive and introspective seminar helps members identify their true passions and strengths while creating action steps to achieve their goals.
Live streamed events with leaders, celebrities and best-selling authors are scheduled six times per year. Topics include leadership, identifying goals, facing challenges, personal growth and successfully transitioning from college to career. Students interact with the speakers via Twitter and Facebook during each broadcast.
Success Networking Teams
Students are assigned to small groups and meet bi-weekly to set goals for future success. Members hold each other accountable using a highly specialized formula proven to produce results. After each meeting, students submit a reflective journal entry online, providing advisors the opportunity to coach and mentor in a format which actively engages students.
This is the final step towards induction. Most campuses hold a formal induction ceremony which can be shared with family and friends. At this ceremony, students are presented with their Certificate of Leadership Training honoring their achievement and lifetime membership in the NSLS.
The NSLS provides benefits to help members on their own personal success journey. These include opportunities for all members and exclusive benefits for those who achieve induction.
Pre-Induction Membership Benefits
- Scholarships & Awards:Access to overa quarter-million dollarsexclusively to NSLS members each year for tuition, community service and educational assistance
- Job Bank:Apply to jobs/internships and access to employers seeking to hire NSLS members
- Partner Discounts & Benefits:Enjoydiscountson many retail goods and services
- Speaker Broadcasts:A series of six live streamedspeaker broadcastsper year by celebrities, authors, motivational speakers and professionals on relevant topics facing students and graduates
- Success Networking Team:Participate with your NSLS peers in goal setting, accountability and commitment to action
- Success Coaches:Improve skills, refine focus and interact with a professionalsuccess coach
- Broadcast Archive:Online access to past presentations from more than 50 nationally renowned NSLS speakers;Click Hereto see some of our past speakers
- Professional Communication Training:A professionally administered communicationassessment tool(DiSC) helps you identify your own communication style, teaches you to recognize and appreciate other styles and prepares you to interact effectively with others
- Social Events:Meet like-minded people and make friends at social events, fundraising events, service projects and other NSLS gatherings
- Leadership Collection:Online interview series with career experts to guide you in landing your dream job
- Motivational Mondays:Get inspired each week by a recording delivered directly to you
- Monthly Newsletter:Read theNSLS Newsletterhighlighting scholarships, chapter and member success stories, advice from leading motivational speakers and more
- Member Shop:In addition to the items you receive upon induction, the shopprovides you with a wider selection to commemorate your membership
Post-Induction Membership Benefits
- Letter of Recommendation:Receive apersonalized letter of recommendationthat you can send to employers and admissions offices
- Graduation Honors:Proudly wearhonor cords, stole and charmat your graduation as an inducted member
- Scholarships & Awards for Inducted Members:Additionalscholarshipsavailable to inducted members
- Leadership Training Certification:Awarded after completion of the leadership training program
- Resume Enhancement:NSLS membership on your resume sets you apart as a leader to admission counselors and employers
- Inducted Member Items:Receive yourleadership certificate, NSLS t-shirt, car decal, and NSLS insignia pinupon induction
- Leadership Opportunities:Avail yourself of opportunities for local, regional, or national leadership positions in the NSLS
- Presidential Members (3.3+ GPA):Receive a Presidential Seal on your leadership training certificate
- Nationwide Network:Join over 1,033,379 members at over 687 colleges in a network of support and motivation
of NSLS members transitioning into careers landed the job of their choice upon graduating and nearly 80% of those students attributed their success to the NSLS's program
National Survey of NSLS Members
We conduct annual national surveys of all our members and continuously strive to incorporate feedback to improve our program.
would recommend the NSLS to their peers
Indicated the NSLS impacted their likelihood of achieving their life goals
Reported that the NSLS impactedtheir likelihood of landing their desired future job
Believe the program was worththeir time spent
Report they have improved theirdecision making skills, self-awareness,respect for others, ability to beassertive and interpersonalrelationship skills
Of NSLS members transitioning intocareers landed the job of their choiceupon graduating and nearly 80% of thosestudents attributed their success tothe NSLS's program
"It is more than receiving honors and getting to wear a pretty gold chord at graduation. The NSLS helps you focus on what you really want out of life and helps you network with people who are reaching towards the same success as you." Shaven Jones (University of Memphis)
"By joining NSLS you may develop more powerful ideas, enhance communication among people who want to succeed in their goals, broaden your contact network, and gain plenty of motivation and confidence to accomplish most of your objectives." Lucas Fernandes (Middlesex Community College)
"The NSLS offers you everything you could ever want in a college experience in one, neatly organized group, dedicated to success and opportunity." Shanika McKoy (University of Memphis)
1. Orientation: the first meeting that occurs each semester and will give you access to all the information you need about the program in order to successfully complete the steps for induction as a member.
Orientation for the Fall 2019 cohort is (choose only one date) Tuesday, September 10, 2019 from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM in SAC Ballrooms C or Friday, September 20, 2019 from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM.
2. Leadership Training Day: a 3-hour interactive video training session with a workbook designed to help you identify and overcome any obstacles that may interfere with obtaining your goals. This introspective seminar helps you to recognize your strengths and weaknesses, in order to shift your focus toward your real passions.
Leadership Training Day for the Fall 2019 cohort is Saturday, September 28, 2019, 9 AM – 5 PM in SAC Ballrooms B&C.
3. Three speaker broadcast events: you will watch some of the world's most successful motivational speakers discussing topics related to leadership, identifying goals, facing challenges, personal growth, and successfully transitioning from college to career.
Speaker Broadcasts Dates:
October 15, 2019 - SAC Ballroom C from 7:02 PM to 8:30 PM
October 22, 2019 - SAC Ballroom C from 7:02 PM to 8:30 PM
November 6, 2019 - SAC Ballroom C from 7:02 PM to 8:30 PM
Laker Challenge Course Dates: (choose only one date)
October 18, 2019 – SAC Fitness Desk
November 8, 2019 – SAC Fitness Desk
All Requirements Due: November 8, 2019
Induction Ceremony: November 22, 2019 SAC Ballrooms ABC from 3:00pm to 6:00pm
4. Three Success Networking Team meetings: bring together groups of students that work together and provide peer coaching on achieving goals. You can discuss goals, desires and expectations, set timelines and hold each other accountable for achieving what you want. The Success Networking Team provides members with a support network of like-minded goal-oriented students on campus.
Success Networking Team (SNTs) meetings will be determine by each group at Leadership Training Day.
For more information or questions regarding the National Society for Leadership and Success, please contact Tiffany P. Burston, Administrative Assistant of the Student Activities Center or visit the National Society for Leadership and Success website:http://www.societyleadership.org/.