Follow This Checklist to be Successful in the Study Abroad Program of Your Choice:
Please NOTE: If you are in your senior year as a student, please come to the
Office of International Programs prior to following this checklist.
Print the application checklist here.
1. Must seek advisement from the Office of International Programs
2. Must be in Good-Academic Standing
3. Be aware that some Financial Aid requires that a Study Abroad Program Must Fill Your Academic Course Requirements or Course Electives. Please speak with your Financial Aid advisor before applying for the study abroad program.
4. Review the study abroad programs offered by Clayton State University. Talk with the program director to learn more about each program. Check out the programs offered by the University System of Georgia Study Abroad Offices.
1. Discuss your interest in the Study Abroad Program and where the program could fill your academic course requirements.
1. Discuss any questions or concerns about the Study Abroad Program and/or Application.
2. Study Abroad Application can be found online at Abroad Office clayton.abroadoffice.net.
• Create an Account.
• Click Programs on right side of screen.
• Orange region on the map is where CSU offers study abroad opportunities. Select desired Region.
• Select desired Study Abroad Program.
• Select Apply.
• Submit and upload all necessary documents to the online application system. This will include your Approval Form, copy of the photo page of your passport, etc.
• The Withdrawal Form is not necessary to complete unless you plan to withdraw from your study abroad program.
• Visa documentation is only necessary for International Students that are at Clayton State University on a visa, and require a visa to travel.
• If you are having trouble scanning, there are free apps that assist with this problem that you can download to your phone or tablet.
Example: TinyScanner App (watch the video to see how the app works)
• In-completion of the study abroad application forms may hinder your ability to participate in your upcoming study abroad trip.
3. Books and any other fees not associated with the program cost are not included. Please see the Program Director for all external fees.
4. Tuition is separate from the cost of the trip. Visit the Bursar website for undergraduate and graduate fee schedules.
5. Please note the expiration date on your Passport. If your passport expires six to nine months
prior to your study abroad trip dates or six months after your study abroad trip, please be aware that you may need to renew your passport before leaving the country. For more information on passports visit our Passport & Visa section or check the FAQs.
6. Follow all instructions from your Program Director and the OIP regarding passports, visas, and vaccines/immunizations.
1. International students who hold F-1 visas must contact the Office of International Programs to discuss studying abroad and visa status for study abroad programs.
2. International students will need to meet with their International Student Services adviser to inform them of your travel plans. They will assist you with updating your immigration and visa documentation.
1. Take a copy of your study abroad approval application form with your program directors signature when making your first deposit and/or payment to the Bursar Office.
> Make multiple copies of the signed Approval Form. One will be given to the Bursar Office. One for your program director. Keep one for yourself and upload a copy to the Abroad Office portal.
2. Make all checks out to Clayton State University. When submitting a check, please write in “For” the Study Abroad program that you are attending. Please add your Laker ID# to your check.
1. Make payments to the Bursar Office and the payment deposits will be applied to your study abroad program. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IF YOU HAVE AN OUTSTANDING BALANCE WITH CLAYTON STATE UNIVERSITY, ANY PAYMENT ON YOUR STUDENT ACCOUNT WILL BE APPLIED TO THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE. It is your responsibility to make all payments by the deadline.
2. Pay your program fee in full according to the program’s payment schedule and tuition once it is posted to your account.
1. Tuition is separate from the expense of the trip. Visit http://www.clayton.edu/bursar/Tuition-Fees for undergraduate and graduate fee schedules.
2. Check the Academic Calendar for your tuition and fee deadlines for the Spring or Maymester (Summer Calendar) in order to make your payments. Failure to pay tuition before the deadline will cause the course(s) to be dropped from registration. To view academic calendars visit this link http://www.clayton.edu/calendar.
3. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that tuition and fees are covered before departure. If you have concerns about making payments, inquire with the Bursar Office about payment plans (if eligible). Tuition is paid to the Bursar.
1. If using Financial Aid for your study abroad program, please refer to our Financial Aid Fact Sheet.
2. Each student’s financial aid situation is unique and it is impossible to include all aspects of financial aid information. Please speak with a CSU Financial Aid representative or call the CSU FinAid Office at 678-466-4185.
1. Apply to scholarships for which you may be eligible. These can be found on the study abroad website or on our scholarship and raising funds fact sheets.
1. Attend the mandatory pre-departure orientation organized by your Program Director.
2. You will receive the Office of International Programs online study abroad orientation through Distance 2 Learn (D2L). This will cover general information for travel, money, medical insurance provided for your program, etc. This must be completed in order for you to participate on the program.