The IRB will be comprised of the following individuals:
One Chair: An individual nominated by the IRB members who will serve for one year.
One Vice Chair: An individual nominated by the IRB members who will serve for one year and act as Chair elect. The Vice Chair term is one year followed by a year as Chair.
Members: Two members from each of the respective schools and colleges of Clayton State University as indicated directly below will be the IRB members. The IRB members will be elected from each school and college as either a three or two year term member for the initial term, with subsequent terms to be three years for all members. Thus a staggered term will occur for all members from each school and college. The colleges and schools determine respective election procedures. Individuals may serve one consecutive term after their initial term. A previous member who served one or two terms must wait one term before serving another term. One individual from the University IACUC will be a member, and one representative from administration will be a member. Both the IACUC and administration member will serve three year terms.
School and College IRB Member Composition:
External Members: At least two but not more than three individuals will be members from external sources. A list of external members will be maintained by the IRB Chair and Vice Chair to help with IRB review. External members will serve not more than five year terms, with a possibility for one consecutive term. A previous external member who served one or two terms must wait one term before serving another term. External members are considered ad hoc members and are called when needed.
Ex-Officio Members: The President and Provost are ex-officio members with no term limits.
Advisor: The Chair will serve a one year term as advisor after being Chair.
[Human Protection Administrator: Associate Provost who is not a member of the IRB]
Alternate IRB Members: OHRP states that an alternate member(s) is designated as needed for a regular voting member(s). The appointment of alternate member(s) should be based on expertise similar to that of the regular voting member(s). An alternate member may vote only when the regular voting member is absent.
The IRB committee must be formed by persons representing a wide spectrum of knowledge and experience to review research proposals based on their education, experience, and diversity; helping and enhancing a total, accurate, and objective review of the research activities conducted by members of the institution. IRB members are trusted to the protection of rights and welfare of human subjects involved in the research.
The IRB shall value members with interest and expertise in the scientific and as well as in the nonscientific areas.
IRB members shall act as reviewers for assigned research proposals submitted to the IRB and participate as general reviewers of the proposals discussed by the full committee. IRB members shall vote to approve or disapprove proposals as well as to establish conditions for approval of the proposals in a timely manner
IRB members are expected to attend all scheduled IRB meetings. In case that a member cannot attend to a meeting, he/she must inform the IRB chairperson in advance to facilitate the informed participation of an alternate member.
IRB members are elected, by the corresponding colleges, to serve for a period of three years and are eligible for reelection.
The criteria for satisfactory performance of IRB members shall include: success in required training and education, attendance in at least 70% of the scheduled meetings, timely recruitment of alternates for the remaining 30% of any missed scheduled meetings, preparation for the meetings, professionalism, diligence and carefulness in the review of research proposals.