Accounting students from Clayton State University are again participating in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program hosted by the College of Business. Clayton State is the only college or university in the state that has offered this service consistently for 25 years.
This service will be offered at the College of Business at Clayton State on the following Saturdays: Feb. 21, Feb. 28, Mar. 21, and Mar. 28, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in room T-152 of the College of Business. Taxpayers will be assisted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
VITA is a national program that provides tax support for certain eligible taxpayers. The program, which has been in existence for more than 40 years, is also an experiential learning experience for Clayton State students, providing the volunteers with extensive IRS training and testing, enabling them to ensure that taxpayers will have their tax returns filled out accurately and timely and receive the tax credits they qualify for, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit.
The VITA program also prepares state income tax returns and provides free e-filing options to ensure clients receive their refunds as soon as possible.
Those who are eligible to receive this service are taxpayers who make under $51,000 a year and wish to receive help with their 2014 personal income taxes using Forms 1040EZ, 1040A, and simple1040s. The program does not provide assistance with out-of-state or small business returns, or for those who are self-employed.
Those interested in receiving this assistance must bring the following items:
- Photo identification,
- Social security cards for themselves, their spouse, and dependents,
- Birthdates for primary, secondary, and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1009-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from bank(s), Form 1099
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Day care provider identifying number
- Total amount paid for day care
- A copy of last year’s federal and state income tax returns if possible,
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit.
Please note that both spouses will need to be present to file electronically.