Clayton State UniversityOffice of International Programs (OIP)
Call or email for advising appointment
2000 Clayton State Blvd.
Morrow, GA 30260-0285
Tel: (678) 466-5499
Fax: (678) 466-5469RyanPackard@clayton.edu
1. Why is international health insurance required? Health care in the United States is not nationalized or socialized. U.S healthcare is mostly a private industry. Therefore, it’s very expensive. A one-night stay in the hospital for a routine surgery could cost $30,000, and a simple office visit could cost $300.
2. What about travel insurance? You may purchase supplemental travel insurance or emergency medical insurance online if you wish. However, be advised, it will not meet standards required by the BOR and cannot be substituted for required insurance.
3. What company provides the insurance? The USG BOR is currently under contract with United Health Care.
4. Do they have a webpage for Clayton State mandatory students? Yes. The SHIP (Student Health Insurance Program) policy brochure and waiver form for CSU mandatory students are located at: https://studentcenter.uhcsr.com/clayton.
5. Policy brochure / What is covered? Please see the “policy brochure” near the bottom of this link: https://www.uhcsr.com/clayton.
6. How do I enroll? Enrollment in the plan is automatic when you are accepted. The charge for the remainder of the year (fall, spring, summer) will be added to your account.
7. Will I get a card? Yes, your insurance card will be mailed to your US address directly from United Healthcare after open-enrollment ends.
8. Can I see a doctor without a card? Yes. You have coverage even without a card. If you need a doctor before your card arrives, enroll at United Healthcare’s website and print a temporary card.
9. What are the costs (premiums), and when does coverage begin?
10. I have a J1 visa. Am I exempt? No. Your spouse or any children accompanying you must also be covered, under Department of State regulations. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the termination of your DS-2019, which makes you unlawfully present.
11. How do I apply for a waiver? Students with comparable insurance can request to waive the insurance requirement through an online process at the United Healthcare Clayton State portal. A comparable plan must meet the minimum requirements of the USG BOR. This determination is made by an impartial, 3rd party based on the information provided through the waiver form. To meet the waiver requirements, your insurance must, for example:
12. What other plans are currently acceptable for waiver?
13. What if my waiver request is denied? If you still feel your own plan meets the requirements of the USG BOR, you may appeal. You are covered during the appeal process:
1st denial: appeal by submitting another waiver via the same process.
2nd denial: appeal in writing via email to United Healthcare at: email@example.com. This appeal will be forwarded to the BOR.
14. What are the waiver request deadlines? Fall Semester 2013: September 23
15. I’m on OPT. What about me? Enrollment is NOT automatic because it is not required. However, ISSO strongly urges to you to maintain coverage. You may enroll in the plan as a “voluntary” participant for the months you need. Enrollment must occur by the deadlines in #14. There may be no on / off gaps in your coverage. Create an account at the Clayton State United Healthcare portal. See #3 above. From there you can enroll for coverage and set-up payment.
16. What about my dependent wife / husband / child(ren)? After creating your account at the United Healthcare site, you can enroll and pay for your dependent(s). See #3 above.
17. Other Questions? Contact United Healthcare Email, Phone and Postal Addresses are here.