AmeriCorps National Service Program
2018 Student Leadership & College Preparation Conference
2017-2018 AmeriCorps Team at AmeriCorps National Service Opening Day Ceremony
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps (pronounced "Ame-ri-core") is a national service program designed to connect Americans in intense service to meet critical community needs in education, environment, public safety, disaster preparedness and other human needs. The Department of Campus Life AmeriCorps members will provide tutorial and mentor services to high school students at Forest Park, Jonesboro, Morrow, and Mt. Zion high schools; facilitate personal development sessions with the high school students and provide opportunities for the students to participate in community volunteer projects.
Follow us at:
To date, our AmeriCorps members have contributed over 125,700 hours of community service to Clayton County and surrounding areas!
What do the Clayton State University AmeriCorps Members Do?
- Clayton State University AmeriCorps Members champion issues in the Clayton County community and surround areas by participating in monthly service events and recruiting their fellow peers to get involved in community activism!
- CSU AmeriCorps Members serve 675 hours of community service over the course of ten months.
- CSU AmeriCorps Members spend at least 10-12 hours a week tutoring and mentoring local high school students in the subject areas of math, language arts, and science.
- CSU AmeriCorps Members participate in the Alternative Service Trip Break Programs
- CSU AmeriCorps Members plan and facilitate the monthly AmeriCorps Service Cinema Series
- CSU AmeriCorps Members plan and facilitate the 5-Day Student Leadership and College Preparation Conference held each spring for high school students.
Clayton State University AmeriCorps members tutor Morrow and Jonesboro high school students in Math, Language Arts and Science to prepare them for success on the Georgia High School Graduation Test and subsequent college entry.
AmeriCorps members volunteering at the 2018 United Way Shoebox Project
2018 MLK Day of Service with Trees Atlanta
2018 Clayton County Relay for Life
2018 Student Leadership and College Preparation Conference during a team building activity.
2018 Hoops for Charity, all proceeds went to the American Cancer Society
AmeriCorps members serving at Rainbow House during 2018 Alternative Spring Break
AmeriCorps members painting picnic benches for the CSU Community.
What are the requirements to be an AmeriCorps Member?
To be eligible to be an AmeriCorps member at Clayton State University, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be a matriculating student at Clayton State University
- Be at least 17 years of age or older
- Be strong in Math, Science and/or Language Arts as reflected by GPA and coursework
- Must commit at least 15 hours per week to the program (a total of 900 hours for the academic year)
- Have a passion for community service and "Getting Things Done"
- Dedicated to youth development and academic success
- Applications are accepted throughout the year, however members are selected at the beginning of each term. Please submit you completed application to the Department of Campus Life, Student Activities Center, second floor.
- Please include a recommendation letter and two completed recommendation forms.
- Upon submission of your application, please have the original documents of your driver's license, social security card, birth certificate, and high school diploma/final transcript available for staff to make a copy. These documents are required to be eligible for the program.
Download the 2018-2019 AmeriCorps Application Here
For more information regarding the AmeriCorps Program, please contact Ashley Kekula at (678) 466-5433 or via email: AshleyKekula@clayton.edu.