UNIVERSITY SYSTEM OF GEORGIA
Clayton State University FOUNDATION, INC.
Clayton State University (Clayton State University) opened in 1969 as Clayton Junior College, with Dr. Harry S. Downs as the founding president. The Board of Regents elevated the institution to baccalaureate status in 1986 and established the present name in 1996.
In April 2000, Dr. Stephen R. Portch, Chancellor of the University System of Georgia, announced that the Board of Regents had selected Dr. Thomas K. Harden as the new president for Clayton State University effective in June of that year.
The beginning of the University can be traced to 1965 when the Board of Regents authorized three new junior colleges for the University System, one of which was designated for south metropolitan Atlanta. The Board considered several locations in the region, and chose the present site in Clayton County because of the unique combination of natural beauty and easy access to the then recently completed Interstate 75. The citizens of Clayton County subsidized the initial construction of the state institution by passing a bond issue for nearly five million dollars. Construction of the new campus began in fall 1968, and the doors opened to 942 students less than a year later on September 30, 1969.
In 1981 the University added a technical division offering applied associate degrees and certificates in cooperation with the Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education. Five years later Clayton State began its baccalaureate mission with programs in business administration and nursing. The institution has continued to add majors at the bachelor’s level while maintaining several technical associate degree and certificate programs. Through the establishment of the Bachelor of Applied Science degree, Clayton State University emerged as a national leader in promoting opportunities for graduates from applied associate degree programs to “bridge” to bachelor’s degrees with little, if any, loss of credit. The University also has one of the largest continuing education programs in the state.
Upon the retirement of Harry Downs in January 1994, Dr. Richard A. Skinner became the University’s second president. In June 1999, Skinner left Clayton State to head the University System of Georgia’s new distance learning initiative known as GLOBE. Michael F. Vollmer, Clayton State’s acting Vice President for Fiscal Affairs and former Interim President of Middle Georgia College, served as Interim President for one year until President Harden took office in June 2000.
Clayton State University now enrolls 4,700 students in degree credit programs that, in the words of the University’s mission, provide “career-oriented education with a solid liberal arts foundation.” Current bachelor’s degree majors include Applied Biology (B.S.), Middle Level Education (B.A.), Nursing (B.S.N.), Health Care Management/Administration (B.S. and B.A.S.), Dental Hygiene (B.S.D.H. and B.A.S.), Psychology and Human Services (B.S.), Communication and Media Studies (B.A.), Music (B.A. and B.M.), Technology Management (B.A.S.), Administrative Management (B.A.S.), Integrative Studies (B.A. or B.S.), and four fields of business administration (B.B.A.). The University’s largest major is Information Technology (B.I.T.), which is built on a “career ladder” concept that prepares students for professional opportunities at two steps prior to the bachelor’s degree. Other baccalaureate programs are under development.
Clayton State’s mission commits it to “placing a major emphasis on technologically advanced access to information and to ensuring that all students acquire a working familiarity with the uses, limitations, and ethical implications of modern information technology.” To that end, in January 1998 Clayton State University became the first institution in the Southeast and one of the first in the nation to start issuing notebook computers to all students at all levels in all majors. This “Information Technology Project” (ITP) has transformed the campus and made Clayton State a national pioneer in “ubiquitous computing.” In Fall 2001, the University entered a new phase called “ITP-Choice,” which maintains the requirement for ubiquitous mobile computing but gives students the opportunity to purchase notebook computers rather than having the institution supply them.
Back to Top
Thirty-four public colleges and universities of the University System of Georgia offer almost unlimited opportunities for citizens of the state to attend college. Programs of study and degrees are offered in almost every field available anywhere in the world. Students can choose programs to fit their talents and interests, ranging from one-year certificate programs to doctoral programs.
Fifteen two-year colleges offer the first two years of studies leading to bachelor degrees and professional degrees, as well as one- and two-year career programs designed to prepare students for immediate employment. Career programs are available in fields such as accounting, computer science, agricultural equipment technology, electronics, drafting, dental hygiene, nursing, secretarial studies, and over fifty other fields. The 13 state colleges and universities offer bachelor degrees and, in many cases, some graduate degrees. Degree programs include hundreds of fields of interest including business administration, teacher education, mathematics, sciences, history and other social sciences, engineering, art, and music. Some of these institutions also offer many of the two-year career programs offered by junior colleges. The six regional and research universities offer graduate programs leading to master’s and doctor’s degrees, four-year programs leading to bachelor degrees, and some two-year programs. Offerings include programs ranging from aerospace and nuclear engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology; economics and health administration at Georgia State University; medicine and dentistry at the Medical College of Georgia; to forestry, law, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine at the University of Georgia. Students may begin their freshman year of studies leading to these graduate and professional degrees at any of the 34 colleges and universities of the University System of Georgia.
One or more of these public colleges and universities is located in every section of the state, from Brunswick in the Southeast and Bainbridge in the Southwest, to Dalton and Rome in the Northwest and Dahlonega and Gainesville in the Northeast. In fact, most Georgians live within commuting distance of one or more colleges. All colleges and universities are accredited and offer quality courses. Freshman and sophomore credits toward bachelor degrees which are earned with satisfactory grades at any of these colleges are accepted by all other University System institutions. Fees charged residents of Georgia for attending college, exclusive of living expenses, are low by most standards.
In addition to college courses and programs, non-credit offerings are made available in almost every area of human interest. Many courses and programs are designed to improve job skills, while others provide opportunities for self-improvement in areas unrelated to work. The four universities also conduct extensive programs of research directed primarily toward improving the economic and human welfare of the people of Georgia.
The thirty-four institutions of the University System of Georgia stand ready to encourage and assist citizens interested in college studies.
A 16-member constitutional Board of Regents governs the University System, which has been in operation since 1932. Appointments of Board members are made by the Governor, subject to confirmation by the State Senate. Regular terms of Board members are seven years.
MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF REGENTS
Georgia Institute of Technology
225 North Avenue, N.W.
Atlanta, Georgia 30332
(404) 894-5051 -- GIST 222-5051
Georgia State University
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(404) 651-2560 -- GIST 223-2560
Medical College of Georgia
1120 - 15th Street
Augusta, Georgia 30912
(706) 721-2301 -- GIST 331-2301
University of Georgia
Athens, Georgia 30602
(706) 542-1214 -- GIST 241-1214
Georgia Southern University
Statesboro, Georgia 30460
(912) 681-5211 -- GIST 364-5211
Valdosta State University
North Patterson Street
Valdosta, Georgia 31698
(912) 333-5952 -- GIST 343-5952
Albany State University
504 College Drive
Albany, Georgia 31705
(912) 430-4604 -- GIST 341-4604
Armstrong Atlantic State University
11934 Abercorn Street Ext.
Savannah, Georgia 31419
(912) 927-5258 -- GIST 369-5258
Augusta State University
2500 Walton Way
Augusta, Georgia 30910
(706) 737-1440 -- GIST 337-1440
Clayton State University
5900 N. Lee Street
Morrow, Georgia 30260
(770) 961-3531 -- GIST 220-3531
Columbus State University
4225 University Avenue
Columbus, Georgia 31907
(706) 568-2211 -- GIST 251-2211
Fort Valley State University
1005 State College Drive
Fort Valley, Georgia 31030
(912) 825-6315 -- GIST 327-6315
Georgia College & State University
231 West Hancock
Milledgeville, Georgia 31061
(912) 453-5269 -- GIST 324-5269
Georgia Southwestern State University
Americus, Georgia 31709
(912) 928-1360 -- GIST 345-1360
Kennesaw State University
3450 Frey Lake Road, N.E.
Marietta, Georgia 30061
(770) 423-6033 -- GIST 228-6033
North Georgia College & State University
Dahlonega, Georgia 30597
(706) 864-1993 -- GIST 244-1993
Savannah State University
Savannah, Georgia 31404
(912) 356-2240 -- GIST 362-2240
Southern Polytechnic State University
1100 S. Marietta Parkway
Marietta, Georgia 30060
(770) 528-7230 -- GIST 224-7230
State University of West Georgia
Carrollton, Georgia 30118
(706) 836-6442 -- GIST 232-6442
Dalton State College
213 N. College Avenue
Dalton, Georgia 30720
(706) 272-4438 -- GIST 235-4438
Macon State College
College Station Drive
Macon, Georgia 31297
(912) 471-2712 -- GIST 323-2712
Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
2802 Moore Highway
Tifton, Georgia 31794
(912) 386-3242 -- GIST 342-3242
Atlanta Metropolitan College
1630 Stewart Avenue, S.W.
Atlanta, Georgia 30310
(404) 756-4441 -- GIST 279-4441
U.S. Highway 84E
Bainbridge, Georgia 31717
(912) 248-2510 -- GIST 346-2510
Altama at Fourth
Brunswick, Georgia 31523
(912) 264-7201 -- GIST 365-7201
2400 Gillionville Road
Albany, Georgia 31707
(912) 430-6705 -- GIST 341-6705
Georgia Perimeter College
3251 Panthersville Road
Decatur, Georgia 30024
(404) 244-2364 -- GIST 275-2364
East Georgia College
131 College Circle
Swainsboro, Georgia 30401
(912) 237-7831 -- GIST 333-4200
Rome, Georgia 30162
(706) 295-6328 -- GIST 231-6328
Mundy Mill Road
Gainesville, Georgia 30403
(706) 535-6210 -- GIST 246-6210
419 College Drive
Barnesville, Georgia 30204
(770) 358-5015 -- GIST 258-5015
Middle Georgia College
Cochran, Georgia 31014
(912) 934-3011 -- GIST 325-3011
South Georgia College
Douglas, Georgia 31533
(912) 383-4202 -- GIST 347-4202
2001 Francis Street
Waycross, Georgia 31501
(912) 285-6134 -- GIST 368-6134
The Clayton State University Foundation, Inc., was chartered in September of 1974. A non-profit corporation, the Foundation was established primarily to assist and support Clayton State University in the pursuit of excellence in programs and services and to assist and encourage citizens of our community in their pursuit of an education.
An annual program of work established by the Board of Trustees of the Foundation focuses on scholarships for area high school students to attend Clayton State University; awards for outstanding students, faculty and staff already associated with the University; and the establishment of an Endowment Fund to insure support of programs of the Foundation in future years.
The Foundation welcomes interest in its programs and goals and is in a position to accept support for special programs that citizens may wish to identify.
Current members of the Board are:
Dr. James L. Askew, Riverdale
Ms. Kathlyn F. Barksdale, Conyers
Ms. Vicki T. Borders, Fayetteville
Ms. Lata M. Chinnan, Riverdale
Mr. Thomas B. Clonts, Jonesboro
Mr. J. Daniel Colwell*, Fayetteville
Ms. Claire H. Crumbley, McDonough
Mr. William Ronald Duffey, Newnan
Dr. Bryan P. Edwards, Peachtree City
Mr. Bruce B. Gant, Jr., Morrow
Mr. Thomas A. George, Sharpsburg
Mr. Michael A. Gray*, Fayetteville
Ms. Sherry D. Hamilton, Jonesboro
Dr. Thomas K. Harden, Jonesboro
Ms. Starr S. Helms, Tyrone
Mr. Booker T. Izell, East Point
Mr. Robert W. Lee, Stockbridge
Dr. Elizabeth H. Marshall, Jonesboro
Dr. Donna W. McCarty, Atlanta
Mr. Ernest M. Miller, Jr., Atlanta
Mr. James V. Mottola, Newnan
Mr. John E. Parkerson, Jonesboro
Mr. Carl G. Rhodenizer, Lake City
Mr. M. Allan Vigil, Fayetteville
Mr. Benny R. Whitmore, Senoia
Mr. James M. Wood, Jr., Forest Park
* Ex Officio
Dr. Manolo B. Apanay, Jonesboro
Mr. Guy L. Benefield, Morrow
Mr. Harmon M. Born, Rex
Mr. S. Truett Cathy, Hampton
Dr. Harry S. Downs, Conyers
Mr. W. Cameron Mitchell, Hampton
Mr. G. Robert Oliver, Jonesboro
Mr. Hill R. Redwine, Fayetteville
Mr. Roderick A. Suarez, Jonesboro
USE OF UNIVERSITY FACILITIES
Facilities and equipment of Clayton College & University are provided for the purpose of supporting educational programs and services approved for the University by the Board of Regents.
The Office of Continuing Education and Community Outreach is responsible for sanctioning the use of University facilities by groups external to the University. The primary considerations in determining use of University facilities by outside groups are whether the proposed activity is in keeping with the mission of the University and whether the University has the resources to co-sponsor the activity as one of its own educational programs. Groups external to the University will be assessed a fee based on the particular facility and services delivered.
Activities of other educational agencies, state and local governments, and non-profit organizations which are in conformity with the purposes of the University are usually approved and co-sponsored by the University.
The Continuing Education Center, SmartBodies Fitness & Wellness Center, and Spivey Hall are special-use training and performance facilities and have specific policies and procedures developed stating priorities of use.
Requests to use facilities by chartered student organizations shall be approved in accordance with guidelines set in the Clayton State University handbook Student Organization Rights and Responsibilities, Section IIIB.
The physical education facilities are primarily for the use of University students, faculty, and staff. Policies governing the use of these facilities are designed to permit maximum utilization by students, faculty, staff, and their guests; to insure the safety and well-being of the participants; and to provide for the protection, care, and maintenance of the facilities.
Athletic events which involve the participation of students of Clayton State University, both intramural and intercollegiate competition with or without a public audience, are not administered under this policy statement.
The ADMINISTRATION BUILDING (ADM) houses the President; the Vice President for Academic Affairs; the Vice President for Operations, Planning, and Budgeting. The Bursar's Office (Student Accounts) is also in this building.
The LECTURE HALL (LEC) is a round building containing large lecture rooms. Renovation into a multimedia learning center was completed in May 2001.
The BUSINESS AND HEALTH SCIENCES BUILDING (BHS) contains general classroom and special purpose rooms and laboratories for science and nursing and offices for the School of Business and the School of Health Sciences.
The HARRY S. DOWNS CENTER FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION (CEC) contains offices for Continuing Education and rooms for conferences and short courses.
The STUDENT CENTER (STC) houses the Office of the Vice President for Campus Life, the Offices of Counseling and Career Services, Financial Aid, Department of Public Safety, the Dental Hygiene Clinic and Laboratory, Clayton State University Campus Store, LINX Card Center, Dining Services, Student Lounge, game room, Student Government Association, and student publications offices.
The ATHLETICS AND FITNESS CENTER (A&F) contains instructional and activity areas for physical education and athletics, shower and locker rooms for men and women, and faculty offices. Included are a multi-use gymnasium, classroom space, the SmartBodies Fitness & Wellness Center, a student weight room, and a lobby and exhibit area. The gymnasium houses a regulation full-length basketball court -- home of the Lakers.
The MAINTENANCE BUILDING (MNT) contains the offices of the Director of Plant Operations and a storage area for the University’s inventory of operating supplies.
The ARTS AND SCIENCES (A&S) building includes generalized classrooms, specialized areas for art, offices for faculty in the School of Arts and Sciences, and the University’s 230-seat Lecture Hall.
The LIBRARY (LIB) houses a variety of instructional services and resources. The two-story structure includes areas for library and media services. Instructional areas for the Department of Learning Support and the Center for Learning Enhancement are provided. The Office Information Technology and Services also is located in the Library.
SPIVEY HALL (SPV), dedicated in 1991, has earned a reputation as one of the finest recital halls in the Southeast. The stage of the 400-seat hall accommodates a 100-voice choir, and the orchestra pit seats a 50-piece orchestra. Included in the magnificent structure is a grand staircase leading into a dramatic main lobby, a reception area, and dressing rooms for performing musicians. A 79-rank organ, dedicated to Albert Schweitzer, was installed in early 1992.
The TECHNOLOGY BUILDING (TEC) includes laboratories, classrooms, and faculty offices for programs offered through the School of Technology and the New College for Economic & Community Development, and classrooms and office spaces for the Department of Teacher Education.
The Aviation Maintenance Building (AVM) is located on Tara Boulevard in Jonesboro.
The MUSIC BUILDING (MUS) features classrooms, offices, and practice facilities arranged around a two-story atrium. The Music Building is located adjacent to Spivey Hall to facilitate use of the Hall by music students.
Back to Top