Information on Anthem (BCBSGa) Security Breach
Anthem, Inc., the parent company of our health insurance provider, BlueCross and BlueShield of Georgia (BCBSGa), has been the victim of a security breach. BCBSGa has informed us that Anthem’s member data was accessed, and could include data of our employees.
The USG System office is working closely with BCBSGa as they continue to research the extent of the attack and the impact to our employees. Here is the information that BCBSGa has provided so far:
· Once Anthem determined it was the victim of a sophisticated cyber-attack, it immediately notified federal law enforcement officials.
· Anthem’s Information Security has worked to eliminate any further vulnerability and continues to secure all of its data.
· Anthem immediately began a forensic IT investigation to determine the number of impacted consumers and to identify the type of information accessed. The investigation is still taking place.
· The information accessed includes member names, member health ID numbers/Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses and employment information, including income data. Social Security numbers were included in only a subset of the consumers that were impacted.
· Anthem is still working to determine which members’ Social Security numbers were accessed.
· Anthem’s investigation to date shows that no credit card or confidential health information was accessed.
· Anthem has advised us there is no indication at this time that any of our clients’ personal information has been misused.
· All impacted Anthem members will be enrolled in identity repair services. In addition, impacted members will be provided information on how to enroll in free credit monitoring.
Anthem has created a website – www.anthemfacts.com, and a hotline, 1-877-263-7995, for its members to call for more information, and has shared the attached Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that further explains the cyber-attack.
Once we receive more information from the System office regarding this attack and Anthem’s ongoing investigation, we will provide it to you.